Saturday, January 3, 2015

DIY 365: Half Hexagon Motif

So far I've posted smaller, fairly quick projects, but today I wanted to share part of a larger project that I've been working on, in honor of a friend who was able to crochet again today.


My middle son loves turtles. He has stuffed turtles, a turtle lunch bag, turtle wallpaper on his laptop, even a real live pet turtle. I wanted to make something special for him, like a turtle blanket. This is still a work-in-progress, but it has taken a lot of my crafting time lately.

Motifs laid out on my bed, more to come!

I started with this hexagon pattern, from Crochet 'n' More, in Red Heart Super Saver, in camouflage.



However, I needed some half-hexagon motifs for the edges. I couldn't find one, so I came up with this half-hexagon motif pattern.


Half-Hexagon Motif

Materials:
Worsted weight yarn in color of choice
Crochet hook - size I

Starting Ring: Ch 6, join with sl st in 1st ch.

Row 1: Ch 4, (dc, ch 1) in ring 5 times.

Row 2: Turn. Sl st in 1st ch 1 space, ch 4, (dc, ch 1, dc) in same space. Skip next ch 1-space, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch 1-space, skip next ch 1-space, (dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch 1-space.

Row 3: Turn. Sl st in 1st dc, sl st in next ch 1-space. Ch 3, dc in same ch 1-space. 2 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next ch 1-space, ch 2. 2 dc in next ch 1-space, 2 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next ch 1-space, ch 2. 2 dc in next ch 1-space, 2 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next ch 1-space.

Row 4: Turn. Sl st in last st of previous row. Ch 3, dc in next dc, (2 dc in next dc) twice, (dc in next dc) twice, ch 4. (Dc in next dc) twice, (2 dc in next dc) twice, (dc in next dc) twice, ch 4. (Dc in next dc) twice, (2 dc in next dc) twice, (dc in next dc) twice.

Row 5: Turn. Sl st in last st of previous row. Ch 3, dc in next 7 dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch 4-sp. Dc in next 9 dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch 4-space, dc in next 9 dc. Fasten off and weave in ends.

No comments: